Thursday, September 5, 2013

Helicopter Mom

I know I'm late to the party with this one but I didn't know the term "helicopter mom". I suppose I've heard it before but never really knew what it meant? Then I was watching Mama Laughlins video where she answered some questions...,and she mentioned it. I think I've come to the conclusion that I may be one of "those moms" ahhhh!!!!


I don't get all bent out of shape if the kids are dirty, clothes aren't perfect, or anything like that. They are boys. They are going to get dirty. Whatev. But, I do hover. Mostly around Drew. I'm sure I did it when Cole was younger too, I just don't remember, or maybe I just wasn't as bad. But, with Drew....I kind of annoy myself! He's still in the weeble wobble stage with walking. He's been walking for a few months, but he's still not what I consider "stable" lol. I am a ball of nerves when he's walking on concrete. Mainly because he doesn't walk, he runs! I'm scared of him falling. Yes, he falls approx 37500 times a day.....but the whole concrete thing scares me! He's also a climber. His new favorite thing is to climb up on the couches or the recliner and try to climb over the back! Our house is open concept. Only one couch is against the wall. If he climbs over, he's falling on hardwood floors! And let me tell you, he's close! Seriously, I need a drink before bed every night because my nerves are shot by then! There is no relaxation with this kid! 

My hubs is always telling me to stop, or to relax. But, I am just afraid with him! He doesn't stop, and certainly doesn't sit still! He makes me a nervous wreck! He will be 18 months old the middle of this month, and he's already close to getting out if his crib! Help!!! Is my worrying for his safety a hellicopter mom trait?? I think  in other areas, I'm pretty laid back. I don't stress about the boys being boys. But, if making sure they are safe is hovering.....then so be it! I realize that I can't protect them from everything. But, I also don't believe letting them get hurt is a good thing. I absolutely hate when my husbands response is "he'll learn" or "that'll teach em" seriously??? Ummm no. Do I wish my anxiety level could go down a few notches?? Sure!! But, as far as me not hovering at all.....not gonna happen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment