Friday, February 1, 2013

Date Night?!

Since it's February 1, how fitting to do a post about love, right? It's no secret that my hubs is a fireman (obviously, lol) and it's no secret that he's gone a lot. I whine about it enough so you should all be well aware!

Anywho......My hubs and I were arguing talking the other night about what our relationship has really become. We were talking about how in reality....we are just roomates!There really is no "us". We are Mom and Dad. Partly because he's gone so much that when he is home, there is just so much that needs done, and partly because we just don't make the time. This is something I swore would never happen. But it does happen. Now don't get me wrong....I'm not saying we are not in love or anything like that. We are. I'm saying.....we spend no time alone together. We haven't been to the movies since before our first son was born. (He'll be 4 in april) I couldn't tell you the last time we went out to dinner alone either.

He wants "date night" monthly. How many of you have date nights? Does it help? I've mentioned multiple times that our house is a circus through the night. Our kids do not sleep well to say the least. We are both up and down all night long with one kid or the other....so basically we are not even able to sleep the whole night in the same bed! So that old saying "Life got in the way" is very true in our case. Life does seem to get in our way!  We are parents first, husband and wife last. But, sometimes I think you need to make your relationship a priority. I'm guilty of not doing this. I don't mean, we hate each other, fight all the time, or anything like that. I am just saying that we don't spend time together alone, I don't make it a point to focus just on him....that kinda thing. I'm a Mom, it's what I do, I love my babies, and I find it hard to seperate from them. That's a prob for my hubs.....he wants to do things without the kiddos. I totally get it, it's just easier said than done.

I've never been one of those moms who get excited for "girls night out", or for "date night" in fact, I worry about it all night, because I know that means leaving my kiddos behind. I know that's messed up right? I should be excited for the break.....but to me, it's stressful. I think I'm missing a chromosome or two with that, lol. So I stress about leaving them....but yet, I think it's good for my sanity to have a break?!? Figure that one out!

So any ideas on how to get more alone time with the hubs? Should we do a monthly date night? Other ideas?!?!
                                  Pinned Image

Now, I have to admit I lucked out in the husband department. I tend to give him a hard time...but I think I give him a hard time because of my own issues, not really anything that's his fault, if that makes sense? One of the reasons I am reluctant for date night, is because I'm unhappy with the weight I've gained. We all know I'm trying to lose like half a person here, lol....and I'm uncomfortable going out, because I just don't feel like I look good! I don't want people to see me like that. Again, my own issues...not his. He won't ever say anything about the weight....but he obviously sees it....how can you miss it?!?! So another issue I have to deal with myself, and give him this date night, because that's what he wants. He wants the time together....I can't be upset about that. I should be thankful for that!

                                            Pinned Image

                                    

I couldn't resist :)   IT's FRIIIIIIIDAY! Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. We had this same talk the other night! One thing we like to do is watch a show on Sunday nights. After Kendall goes to sleep we make popcorn and have that little time together. Best part it is free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we adore our time out!

    And I actually believe your marriage should come before the kids. ALWAYS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not married, but I watch my nieces for my brother and sister in law so they can have date nights. I think it is important for couples to have alone time. I'm sure my SIL still worries about the girls, but I think she considers me a trustworthy person and i love my nieces to death' do you have family or close friends you trust that could watch them once a month?

    ReplyDelete